Saturday 3 October 2015

Yves Saint Laurent: Style is Eternal & Barnard Castle

Yesterday I went on a trip to the Bowes museum, in Barnard Castle, to see the Yves Saint Laurent: Style is Eternal exhibition with my university course.


"Bowes Museum" -Instagram: @rebeccageorginaa

The exhibition was absolutely amazing! The garments were all so detailed. Even the toiles were flawlessly made, it was such a brilliant thing to experience. Before going I watched the 2014 Yves Saint Laurent film which gave me more insight to Yves Saint Laurent's life and a better understanding of his creative processes.

(These are his toiles! WHAT?!)

I was thrilled to be able to see one of Saint Laurent's most iconic dresses of the 60s, the Mondrian shift dress - one of my most favourite dresses within fashion history.

"Yves Saint Laurent: Style is Eternal exhibit" -Instagram: @rebeccageorginaa

Looking at Saint Laurent's suits were incredible inspiration for my current design and illustration module where we are looking at engendered fashion. The masculine suit being translated to work with the female figure was really inspiring and gave me an idea to work with. 



Although the suits were amazing, it was the heavily embellished jackets which really caught my eye. They reminded me very much of the modern Balmain collections (I love Balmain) so I was very drawn to them. There was one jacket in particular that I fell in love with. It was heavily jewelled and featured gold embellishments all around it. It was my favourite piece of the entire exhibition.


"The most beautiful jacket I ever did see" -Instagram: @rebeccageorginaa

After looking around the exhibition and taking a few sketches, me and two of the other girls from my course walked into Barnard Castle in search of a pub lunch. After walking through a narrow alley we came to the main street in Barnard Castle filled with shops and cute cafes. Just to the left of the alley we saw The Turks Head pub. It was such a cute little pub and the food was absolutely amazing! I had a steak pie with mashed potato, carrots and peas. It was lush.


The portion size was HUGE!!

Overall, the day was brilliant. I'm looking forward to using the inspiration I got from the exhibition in my own designs.

Bex x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages